It is finally happening. We are going to trial tomorrow for the prosecution of one Brandon B. for the abuse and battery against Freddie. I...

Court Tomorrow

It is finally happening. We are going to trial tomorrow for the prosecution of one Brandon B. for the abuse and battery against Freddie. I am pretty shocked that it's actually happening after all of the rescheduling and extensions. It is going to be okay no matter what happens. God has given me the peace I need to understand that our legal system is not going to make anything better. If I can just hold on to that understanding and peace, then I should be able to make it through without too much anger.

It is going to be a circus, a performance, a little song and dance, razzle dazzle for the benefit of the judge and jury. I would like to believe that the prosecution cares that "justice" be brought for the crime, but I am painfully aware that this is a two year old case that nobody in that office can attach themselves to and maintain sanity. This is also a happy ending, with a child who is alive, well, loved, adopted into a safe home, and thriving. The defense attorney probably does not think Brandon is innocent, and would be a complete sociopath if not given the title of defense attorney where it is their ethical duty to ensure everyone a fair trial regardless of their innocence or guilt. I know this is a cynical view, but we are expecting human beings to make rational decisions after seeing horrid pictures of Freddie's little body, hearing testimony from my emotionally vacant sister, weighing possibilities, feeling societal and racial guilt, and with full knowledge that they can not KNOW what happened or who did what. I wish I had the super power ability to read people's minds and memories and broadcast it so that the truth would be revealed clearly for everyone. Even those are tainted by now though, and I'm sure people are capable of convincing even themselves of complete alternate realities because the monstrous truth is too impossible to bear.

So, tomorrow pray for us, that small community of brothers and sisters in justice and peace. The witnesses, the lawyers, the jury, the judge, the court reporter, the press, the observers, the bailifs, and the defendant that we can judge with rational minds, speak honestly, discern the truth, rise to the occasion, trust each other, and maintain dignity and respect for the very things that make us human. Love and thanks to all of you who have prayed for our family and all who will.

2 comments:

Jen said...

Big prayers.

Can said...

Prayers coming your way! I especially pray for peace for everyone involved.